breaking free

Freedom is that instant between when someone tells you to do something and when you decide how to respond. -Dr. Jeffrey Borenstein

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Fire Drills

I used to love fire drills in elementary school. I can still remember the adrenaline that rushed through my veins when I heard the siren, the excitement of seeing that flashing little fire box, and, of course, the excuse of getting out of class to go outside. Now, fast-forward about ten years to present day.
I hate fire drills with a passion. At this very moment I could be snuggled up in my blankets, all warm and cozy, but no. Instead I am at the Library, after having been ruthlessly torn from my bed, and pushed out into the cold, cruel, weather. Now you may say that I’m being dramatic, but after, o say, a dozen fire drills (Normally ranging from midnight to 8 a.m.) in two months (no exaggeration) I think I have a right to hate fire drills. Often one drill will occur a mere hour after the previous one, right after I have fallen asleep again.
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! That is the sound you will hear from a couple hundred girls after the fire alarm goes off. It’s not the “oh, I’m scared” scream, but “why the heck does this have to happen to me” scream. I must admit that I myself have participated in this new ritual more than once.
Well, I can no longer see the fire trucks outside of Knight so I wish you all a wonderful day as I go back and dream about the inexistence of fire drills.

4 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Gramma-Whit said...

I know what you mean about fire drills. We have them at school at the most inconvenient times. A couple of weeks ago, another drill happened during first period. A little chilly, but following the rules we cleared the building. But, it was no drill, but a real fire. Some bright male student lit a cigarette in the boy's bathroom, threw a piece of paper in one of the vents, and then threw the lighted cigarette into the paper. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but we were cold. The worst part was, I didn't take attendance right away and when I did, I discovered I had a missing student. When I went back into my classroom, there she was asleep, and her friends just left her that way. It really wasn't that long, just a couple of minutes really, but I have learned to take attendance as soon as I leave the building. We don't know who did the dirty deed because our video cameras were not working and so they didn't capture the view of people leaving and entering the hallways.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger studpace said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger studpace said...

I was going to write, "just hide underneath your bed". That is until I read mom's blog....Now I've got nothing for you.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Alecia Whitaker said...

I remember those well during my college days at Blanding Tower. 15 flights of steps to walk down with my RA reminding us that if the fire caught on the painted walls of the stairwell, it would only take 30 seconds to make it to the top. A refreshing thought. Coupled with the fact that the tallest fire ladder in Lexington only reaches 13 floors. Thank God they were never real. But being a co-ed dorm, it was cute to see all the guys' pajamas. Not so macho in their little flannel teddy bear pants - an obvious present from their grandmothers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home