breaking free

Freedom is that instant between when someone tells you to do something and when you decide how to respond. -Dr. Jeffrey Borenstein

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Happy New Year!

New Years is one of the biggest holidays for the Turkmen people. These last few weeks I’ve been to many celebrations and even stumbled upon some amazing performances. The last week of school, before winter break, I decided to go exploring around my school. I heard some music and ended up finding a children’s musical going on. It was absolutely wonderful. The girls were all wearing white dresses and the boys in black suits. They sang many songs and entertained the crowd with dances. When I woke up that day, I had no idea of the treat that I was going to see. All of the families were there to watch their children and the parents even supplied food for all of the guests. This just further showed me the hospitality that the Turkmen people possess. This was not the only celebration I saw. My little sister Zohre took me to her school a few days later where the 9th and 10th graders put on a show themselves. They danced many different styles including traditional Turkmen and Uzbek, slow dancing, and hip hop. In between they held contests in which the winners received gifts from the winter queen and Ayez Baba (Santa Clause). Afterwards they held a dance with just as diverse music. One minute I was dancing to Turkmen music and the next, Usher’s, Yeah.

It was a holiday season full of firsts, but I enjoyed each new experience. I tried to post some pics but the internet wouldn't let me. I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Bobbie Jo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home